Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Day - 3

Finally working... got to shoot a little today... what a relief. I feel like I've spent the last few months meeting, talking, traveling, moving, getting oriented... I haven't actually SHOT anything for some time.

Of course, today was the day I SHOULD have gotten pictures -- but I didn't. (I'll have to see if I can get some screen grabs up here.) I started shooting for a story on "street entrepreneurs"... I'm hoping it'll make a light "kicker" piece for the end of the week. The idea is that across India hundreds of millions of people subsist on very little -- doing odd jobs to make ends meet. Well, today I met a young earwax cleaner on the street. For 15 rupees (about 20 cents) he'll clean the wax from your ears. We watched him clean the ears of a driver... then I had MY own ears cleaned. It was both painful AND gross. I mean... my ears are STILL HURTING hours later. It was very nice, he used the same pick to clean my earwax that he used for the random driver before me. He also charged me 50 rupees... over a DOLLAR! It made for some pretty funny t-v, though.

Tomorrow morning I have a meeting with the Delhi police... I'm trying to get them to let me go along on a raid of a brothel (stories I couldn't do at Ch.1) for a story on trafficking for the sex trade. Nepali girls are trafficked into India and work in the sex trade -- Indians like their fair skin.

Ok.. off to dinner now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home