Saturday, June 03, 2006

Day 6 --
Let me set the scene... it's just after midnight... i've taken a taxi home from the "office" a few mintues ago and I'm back in my little cacoon here at the hotel. I've gotten a drink (Grey Goose -- from duty free) and I'm now at my social outlet... the computer! In the hotel business center! Friday night... hmmm...
Today we did some more shooting for my risk-group AIDS/HIV prevention story. Yesterday were the truckers... today the prostitutes! My producer, Prithvi, got us into a brothel on the notorious "GB Road" which is in the center of the red-light district. Once again, I'm relying on "screen-grabs" as I didn't take my digital camera into the brothel with me.

This first picture was taken walking up the steps into one of the brothels. The camea light really illuminated the steps -- you can imagine how dark it really was. A "peer group" of prostitutes invited us in to visit... they were our "hosts".

The commerical sex workers were gathered in a small group to talk about condoms, HIV/AIDS and other issues that they were facing. There was a host of the event which brought together sex workers from different brothels. They were quite hospitable to us -- but some of them didn't want their faces shown. These brothels seem to operate in some shadowy way under the noses of police. Inside, the madame showed us the "certificate" she had noting that she could operate a house for "dancing and singing" girls. Their discussion (as translated to me) was quite candid and interesting.

AIDS/HIV prevention is a big issue for these sex workers and many brothels have rules about wearing a condom with clients (a must). One of the girls, however, explained to me that they make very little money.. about 120 rupees per client (that's about $2.50) and the clients will pay more to have sex without a condom. Sad.. and scary. Many of these girls have "temporary husbands" as well. It was explained to me that these "temporary husbands" are regular customers (who often don't wear condoms) -- in exchange they will help the girls if they get in trouble with the police or have other problems.

The girl pictured here (wearing pink) was very nice. She spoke enough English to tell me her name and age and later I interviewed her with Prithvi's help. Zeenad (name) is around 25 years old (she wasn't certain of her age) and she got into prostitution to help her family (she has a son). She says she was in love with her husband, but he left her to care for her child alone. Someone recommended that she come to Delhi to work in a factory and make some money. When she followed this person to Dehli.. she was taken to a brothel. She says there is no other work where she can afford to care for her child. At $2.50/client she makes sure he wears protection -- and she can sometimes see four to six guys each night.

Here I'm squatting down near a make-shift stove the girls had in the brothel on which to cook. They cook on an open flame inside a room of the house. Above the stove is a plank of plywood and there is a little crawl space above it where someone can sleep. I'm sure it's a nice place to sleep when someone is cooking in the same room... just below the bunk.

Sometimes I find myself just shaking my head...

I seem to have a lot of photos for this session... it really take quite a bit of time for them to upload to this thing.

I was thinking that I'd try to meet a "broker" this weekend and work on looking for an apartment... which is it's own set of challenges. From having to buy EVERYTHING (stove, fridge, bed, mattress, etc..) to needing to keep in mind questions to ask like, "How many hours of electricty do you have each day?" or "Do you have a water pump?" (they don't get water all day either so you have to fill up a tank when there IS water and make sure the building has enough pressure in a pump to get it to your apartment). Then there is the issue that most landlords want you to pay half (or all) of the rent in CASH (I do get a tax break for renting -- but only witha receipt). Or... there's the issue that most landlords want "at least" a 2-3 year rental contract. Or... maybe the issue that you need to have a certain sturdy mesh netting on your windows because MONKEYS can be a real hastle.

:) What have I gotten myself into...

One last pic... I was at work late working on logging my tapes from today and yesterday. I'll write my script over the weekend and should (insh'allah) get a piece on next week.

Ok... too much thinking about what lies 5 minutes ahead is tiring.

This is a land of living for the MOMENT. I find if I get thinking ahead too much... it's just exhausting.

Oh, one other funny thing... last night I went to bed and noticed a little card from the hotel on my pillow it read: "Dear Guest, To insure a pleasant day... we have provided you with tomorrow's forcast... The temperature tomorrow will be __106 degrees F__. Have a pleasant night!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home