Friday, September 01, 2006

Spinning in India - Wearing Shorts - and tomato garnishes...
I can't believe I'm doing this (a blog posting at 1:44am?)... but I've been getting a lot of pressure from some blog readers (ahem, Nick) to continue posting entries. I mean, if Maureen Dowd writes twice a week, can't I? It's nice to know that people care (awww, Nick).
So, I went to my first spinning class this week - which is the reason I joined the gym around the corner from my house. There were people (Zino, my entire spinning class in LA etc.) that DOUBTED my ability to find a spin class here.
When Chris Young and Brian Miller and I used to travel the world for "the Channel" we used to say that things overseas were always "just a little off". It wasn't that it was BAD (usually) or WRONG (what is wrong anyway?)... just a little bit off. The best example of this are cheeseburgers at a hotels overseas... THEY are almost ALWAYS a little bit off (usually it includes fried egg, for starters). It appears that this also extends into other ground beef dishes too - for instance the "bolognese" in Baghdad (spelled with a "P" at the Al Rasheed Hotel as in: "Polognese") was definitely "a little off".
Anyway... to my point, the spin class is good - a great workout - but "just a little bit off". For starters, the music is SO LOUD that I swear I will get permanent damage to my ear drums if I don't take those little yellow foam ear plugs to my next class. Second, I SWEAR to you there was a woman spining in a "sari" - I mean, I love those things, they're very pretty... but on a stationary bicycle?? Third, there are no clips for my bike shoes (sorry Sar).
I digress -- onto my bigger point. I think I'm really out of step at my gym... I wear SHORTS and it seems that no one else does? Is this a problem? Do I need to wear pants to be culturally sensitive or aware - or do I get some sort of "pass" for not fitting in anyway? (Shashank? Steve? - can someone please weigh-in?).
I had a woman from the Red Cross over tonight for drinks (these lucky guests that get to drink the Grey Goose before it is all gone). Sibi, once again, never ceases to amaze me. (Can one "never cease to amaze" "once again"??) I had asked if she could make something to snack on during cocktails... she not only made these paneer-stuffed peppers but ALSO cut tomatoes into little "flowers" as a garnish. I may never be able to leave this place. (Don't worry, mom, just read the rest of the blog - you'll know that's not true).
Ok, my blog entry right now is reminding me of reading the blogs of people who talk about the movement of their cats... or what the ate for dinner (sound familiar - tomato garnish?)... I promise to come up with some more interesting postings in the future.
See, if Maureen Dowd published this drivel... she'd be out of a job... maybe the New York Times has something with the ole' twice a week...
Am having dinner with my landlord on Saturday at their "club" - THE social thing to do in Delhi is to belong to a "club". If you ever feel like experiencing the Victorian Era... come visit.
I still think about the woman who was referred to as a "peon" under "job description" in the newspaper... it just seems like a dead-end job.
xx - Seth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home