The Apartment Search...Nearly a month into my stay here, I've started the great search. I went around last night to get an idea for what is out there... and I think I was just too depressed by what I found yesterday to write . It was bad -- I mean... bad.
This was one of the spots I saw today. It's in a great part of town -- nice sqare -- and then you get inside and it's just depressing. The mutant-red brick walls look much nicer in this photo -- just to give you a sense. You really can't see the grime in these photos either. It all looks way too santitzed. I said to the owner, "Might you be replacing these tiles?" He said, "No, they're new!" Hahhahaahhahahah!!! (that's me laughing).
Look at the kitchen. I mean, I realize that I'm not going to be shooting a cooking show there -- but, come on... can you imagine eating there?You may not recognize some of these things in the photo. Don't forget that I wouldn't really be able to drink the water or anything like that -- the contraption above the sink is to store and heat the water.
It is very helpful that they have these nice sideways plate stacking things... not sure why you want to have your plates rolling around on their side, but...
Here you can also really get a sense for the high-gloss red paint... a nice touch.
Now... here (following) are two of the places that I'm very seriously considering.
This place is a three-bedroom in an area called Jangpura Extention. The problem with this is that the area really is not very good. (Also - 3bdr is really too big -- but all of the houses here are that size it seems.)But... look at the place! It is bright and airy... the floors are clean. No one has ever lived in it -- I'd be the first. The drawing room (living room) is to the right with a small balcony off of it and a bathroom and bedroom are up the stairs to the left. The dining room is to the left of where I'm standing -- and kitchen and two other bedrooms are right behind. There are three balconies... one off each bedroom.
I'm really quite tempted to go for this... even though it's not in a great part of town. It is quite close to my boss (he's in a better community ten minutes away). We're sharing a car... so that would make it easy.This is the kitchen... and "Charlie" my broker is the guy in the photo.
The place rents for 40,000 Rupees -- which is just about $900/month.
It would be annoying to always have to get in a car to do everything... there is no market, there aren't any shops, no restaurants... and don't forget -- I don't have a car. But... it is a nice place. Oh, the other issue here is that you have the problem of blackouts... usually for a couple of hours a few times a week.
Now... here is another thought. This large terrace really grabbed me. I can just imagine having potted plants out here (dying, i suppose, in the 110 degree heat). When I asked my broker about keeping the plants alive in the heat he said, "Well, that is for your servants to worry about." I just can't get used to that.Side note: this morning I was reading a column in the Times of India (TOI) that was talking about the issue of higher petrol prices and how it was crunching budgets. It profiled three different people with three different jobs. The jobs of the three people were, "businessman", "homemaker", and "peon". Yes, "peon". Now THAT is a bad job. I don't mean to make light of it (translation humor)... but it did make me laugh.
The place is above my "budget". I wanted to spend about 40,000 -- they were offering it for 50,000. But we went to chat with the woman who owns it and she seemed to like me. Later the borker told me that she said to him that she'd go down to 45,000 for me.I really like that it is a corner unit and it's in a great part of town, "Defense Colony". The best gym in town (in all of Delhi) is only a few blocks away and there is a fun, younger "market" (stores, restaurants) all within walking distance.
The only issue for me is that it is really, really big. It's three bedrooms (like the other one)... but the rooms are even bigger. It's an issue on a couple of fronts -- 1) I've got to buy all of the furniture -- and then get rid of it again when I leave 2) it's expensive to air-condition the space.
The other place nicer -- I like that no one has lived there... but this apartment is in a much more desirable area.It's so funny that these "temporary" places are SO MUCH BIGGER than anything I've ever lived in before. Figures... now I can really entertain... now that there is no one to entertain.
See... this is the kitchen... I'm not as crazy about it... a little depressing, right?
Ok -- got another piece done today (written/edited) from my Maldives stuff. In all it looks like I'll have FIVE pieces from my time there.
I'm still at the office -- time to get back to my hotel.

2 Comments:
I can assure you that no New Yorker will lend you any sympathy that you can only find places that are too big! 3 bedrooms for USD 900 per month...rough life ; )
FIVE stories from one trip?! Seth, I'm sure the Maldives are amazing, but you're making me look bad. (I hope my editor isn't reading this.)
And speaking as someone who settled on a too-big 3BR apartment as well - I'd actually say it's worth it, because you'll eventally find a lot of great stuff to fill it with. At least it's an incentive to furniture-shop on your travels.
Post a Comment
<< Home