More Maldives --
Had a great trip with the Red Cross today --- it is just SO much work shooting alone etc -- it must have been almost 40 degrees (C) today and hot, hot sun. I managed to wipe off all of my sunblock and get a little burn. The guys at the R/C were great, though and it was nice to be out on the water.
I just wanted to write quickly and mention how much I like getting to know all of the various people here. It's one of my favorite parts of my job -- going somewhere random and having to figure it all out.
Tonight after dinner I was walking back to my hotel and a guy who was on my flight was driving by on his scooter. It ends up he's the brother of a woman I interviewed -- anyway, we stopped and chatted and I think he'll help me with some contacts for a story I'm working on. The best part... he invited me night fishing and his friend invited me to some party at the end of the week on another island [please picture two guys in their late forties here -- both local businessmen]. This after receiving a call at dinner inviting me to stay at a resort as a guest of a minister here (I've declined that invitation for obvious ethical reasons). And... another person sent me a text inviting me to some other dinner tomorrow. So... if I need friends... I guess I can just move here to the Maldives.
No alcohol on this island (the resort islands have it)... so I've settled in tonight... and decided to treat myself... to a San Pellegrino -- wow!
xx
Had a great trip with the Red Cross today --- it is just SO much work shooting alone etc -- it must have been almost 40 degrees (C) today and hot, hot sun. I managed to wipe off all of my sunblock and get a little burn. The guys at the R/C were great, though and it was nice to be out on the water.
I just wanted to write quickly and mention how much I like getting to know all of the various people here. It's one of my favorite parts of my job -- going somewhere random and having to figure it all out.
Tonight after dinner I was walking back to my hotel and a guy who was on my flight was driving by on his scooter. It ends up he's the brother of a woman I interviewed -- anyway, we stopped and chatted and I think he'll help me with some contacts for a story I'm working on. The best part... he invited me night fishing and his friend invited me to some party at the end of the week on another island [please picture two guys in their late forties here -- both local businessmen]. This after receiving a call at dinner inviting me to stay at a resort as a guest of a minister here (I've declined that invitation for obvious ethical reasons). And... another person sent me a text inviting me to some other dinner tomorrow. So... if I need friends... I guess I can just move here to the Maldives.
No alcohol on this island (the resort islands have it)... so I've settled in tonight... and decided to treat myself... to a San Pellegrino -- wow!
xx

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home