First of all... my apologies for my delay in updating this blog.
Don't I know that I'm going to lose any readership I may have if I don't update???
To give you an accurate picture of my last few days... just imagine me at work... at my desk writing... shooting... or running around doing other work-related things.
Just to set the scene -- it's now 11:33pm. I'm still at work -- have to give a voice/track for a piece I just wrote -- and then I have to go home (I can't believe I just called my hotel, home) -- pack -- sleep -- and get up for my car to get me at 5am... to go to the Maldives.
To share one of the few out-of-work moments... I haven't given up my love for flowers despite my hotel-living. I got all of these tube-roses (sp?) from a little vendor next to the office. A bunch of twelve: $3.
Now, I've been meaning to take a photograph of my little "reserved" sign on my breakfast table at the hotel. The waitstaff really gets after me if I'm not there right at 9am. However, if I'm there at 8:50a... I hear from the hostess; "Ohhh, Mr. Seth, you're early!!!"
I've picked up the horrible, "Sir". As in, "Yes, Sir" or "No, Sir" or "Great, sir". Everyone in the office says it and in the beginning I would say to them... "What is this.. some hold-over from the Raj?". Well, I've picked it up too. Perhaps if I wasn't ALWAYS at work. ..
I just filed a piece this week on all of the odd jobs that you find here in India. (You may recall the pictures of me getting my ear-wax cleaned out?) [Mom, please don't scroll down] Well, here are some snap-shots from some of the other odd jobs. I really like these street-side barbers. It's a real deal coming from the days of Channel-One-sponsored-Beverly-Hills haircuts. Here a haircut is usually under $1. Afterward you can get a nice scalp massage. I wish there was audio with this -- the horns are honking... it seems ANYTHING but relaxing.
These guys are actually quite busy... we didn't have to wait at all to find clients!
A bit of housekeeping here for concerned readers. Indeed, I have checked with my employer (or am in the process of doing that) to find out what the policy is regarding blogs. I certainly don't want to LOSE my nice new job (NOT that such a thing was threatened)... but I hope to get an answer soon as to whether I can continue writing to you in an open forum.
Now THIS I really found quite funny. I don't know if you can tell... but this man (certainly not the ONLY one here in Delhi) sits on the side of the road with a scale... and you can pay him to weigh you. Convenient, right? Say you forget to weigh yourself in the morning... and you're wondering... well... wonder-no-more.
So... I'm off in the morning and I will try to update from the road.
Of course... everyone has said to me, "Ahh, you're so lucky.. the Maldives"... well, yes... BUT It IS the middle of the monsoon there and the forecast is thunder-showers EVERY day. I guess I'll need my swimsuit afterall... for WORK not pleasure.
xxx
Don't I know that I'm going to lose any readership I may have if I don't update???
To give you an accurate picture of my last few days... just imagine me at work... at my desk writing... shooting... or running around doing other work-related things.
Just to set the scene -- it's now 11:33pm. I'm still at work -- have to give a voice/track for a piece I just wrote -- and then I have to go home (I can't believe I just called my hotel, home) -- pack -- sleep -- and get up for my car to get me at 5am... to go to the Maldives.
To share one of the few out-of-work moments... I haven't given up my love for flowers despite my hotel-living. I got all of these tube-roses (sp?) from a little vendor next to the office. A bunch of twelve: $3.Now, I've been meaning to take a photograph of my little "reserved" sign on my breakfast table at the hotel. The waitstaff really gets after me if I'm not there right at 9am. However, if I'm there at 8:50a... I hear from the hostess; "Ohhh, Mr. Seth, you're early!!!"
I've picked up the horrible, "Sir". As in, "Yes, Sir" or "No, Sir" or "Great, sir". Everyone in the office says it and in the beginning I would say to them... "What is this.. some hold-over from the Raj?". Well, I've picked it up too. Perhaps if I wasn't ALWAYS at work. ..
I just filed a piece this week on all of the odd jobs that you find here in India. (You may recall the pictures of me getting my ear-wax cleaned out?) [Mom, please don't scroll down] Well, here are some snap-shots from some of the other odd jobs. I really like these street-side barbers. It's a real deal coming from the days of Channel-One-sponsored-Beverly-Hills haircuts. Here a haircut is usually under $1. Afterward you can get a nice scalp massage. I wish there was audio with this -- the horns are honking... it seems ANYTHING but relaxing.These guys are actually quite busy... we didn't have to wait at all to find clients!
A bit of housekeeping here for concerned readers. Indeed, I have checked with my employer (or am in the process of doing that) to find out what the policy is regarding blogs. I certainly don't want to LOSE my nice new job (NOT that such a thing was threatened)... but I hope to get an answer soon as to whether I can continue writing to you in an open forum.
Now THIS I really found quite funny. I don't know if you can tell... but this man (certainly not the ONLY one here in Delhi) sits on the side of the road with a scale... and you can pay him to weigh you. Convenient, right? Say you forget to weigh yourself in the morning... and you're wondering... well... wonder-no-more.So... I'm off in the morning and I will try to update from the road.
Of course... everyone has said to me, "Ahh, you're so lucky.. the Maldives"... well, yes... BUT It IS the middle of the monsoon there and the forecast is thunder-showers EVERY day. I guess I'll need my swimsuit afterall... for WORK not pleasure.
xxx

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home