
The Maldives... and coming back to India.
How sad it was to leave all of my new friends in the Maldives. This morning I boarded a seaplane to start the first of what would be four flights and fifteen-hours of travel door-to-door to make it back to Delhi. Jeepers, sometimes 15 hours of travel is just TOO much. I usually go along my merry little way and the travel doesn't bother me -- but TODAY it did. I found myself getting so annoyed with my fellow passengers (seat reclining, clearning throats, arm-rest wars -- you get the picture -- lame little things that sometimes just get to you)... I'll leave it at that. I'm glad to be here and I need a day off tomorrow.
I did have a lovely afternoon yesterday at the Coco Palm resort (my private balcony/pool pictured here).I thought I should see what draws tourists to the Maldives so I checked into this resort (it was a journalistic effort to understand the Maldives, you see?). After staying in the equivalent of a Motel 6 for the last week and working 20 hours a day -- it was a welcome change of pace.
My seaplane landed at 2:30pm on Friday and I departed again at 7:00am on Saturday morning -- so my stay was brief -- (oh, and it rained most of the time) -- but, hey, look where I was -- I'm NOT complaining. If it was my HONEYMOON... I might complain... but a business trip, no.
My room was the one at the end of this boardwalk -- right over the lagoon. This place was just magical -- even all alone -- it was fantastic.
There are all of these funny ways (at least I see them as funny) that I find myself dealing with my new life. Here is one -- no beef in India, right? First thing I order at Coco Palm? The "U.S.A. Burger". Sure it my have financed much of the overhead for the resort ($20 burger??) but it was GOOD. And... the mojito martini was one of the best I've had (rivaled the Havana International Airport, Noelle). (also note: I ALWAYS bring my book with me to meals now --don't ever think twice about it) (also note, Noelle, I'm NOT dining with others and reading) :)
The Maldives are a great spot and if you're a SCUBA diver it's hard to beat some of the diving they have (it was a good place to have my first SCUBA experience). But, having spent my week in Male (the capital city) and then a day at the resort -- I think the resort itself would have felt too isolated for me to really enjoy it without first seeing the other side of life there. For me it's nice to see some of the real grit of life. I suppose most tourists go to be islolated from all "grit" and "texture" -- but I think that is some of the best part of it all -- or at least finding some balance.(This is my room pictured)
The next two pictures are from the "gritty" side of my experience.
I met "Najeeb" -- everyone goes by their second name in the Maldives -- on my filght from Colombo to Male last week. I also mentioned in an earlier blog posting that I ran into him while walking back from dinner the other night. (One blog reader requested a photo of him). This is us having a bite to eat pre-fishing. Of course, (as if I didn't know better) I did my SHOCKER-ORDER... iced espresso.... which really seems to confuse people. I say, "Do you have espresso?" // They say "yes" // I say, "Could you brew two shots and pour it over ice". // Then I wait for the total look of SHOCK and DISBELIEF. This happens EVERYWHERE... from upstate New York, to Jordan, to the Maldives. I guess I need a new coffee drink.
Ok, jeez, I've got to get on with it (I seem to be getting lost in the details). So, here we are fishing -- I actually caught a Snapper on my first "cast". People seemed impressed. Luckily, I was too busy being congratulated for my catch -- so I didn't actually have to REMOVE the fish from the hook (phew!). You can see I look a little CRAZY in this photo. It must have been the shock of catching a fish -- or the fear of... "what do I do now????".
Risking the potential BLINDING all of my fellow fishermen/women I took this picture because I thought it was a classic! The fish were all flapping around on the deck of this old boat.I would be talking with someone and I'd almost step on a fish (it was pitch black) and then I'd have to pretend to be unaffected by all of the dying fish around me.
This really was a cool experience, though. I had such a great time. It was one of those nights where you truely appreciate the chance to see a totally different life. I left my camera at the hotel and was just there to enjoy and get a little glimpse into a different world.
It was so nice to be on the water every day during my stay there... I miss the ocean here in Delhi.
I bought a bottle of Veuve Cliquot at duty free to save and celebrate my birthday -- hopefully, I'll be able to find someone else to toast my 28th!
I'm off to bed...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home