Apartment Drama...
(*DISCLAIMER* I'm sorry that this entry lacks any real subject matter/material of interest -- it's the lame day-to-day worries of my apartment search --- I will get on to better subjects after this chapter concludes.)
So my cameraman, Sanjiv, has been incredible. He knew I was looking at apartments today and he called me to tell me that he had some free time and could he help. I released the taxi I had hired and he came to pick me up from one of the apartments. I took him to all (5) apartments that are on my "short list" and we saw a few others as well. It's very sweet of him to take so much time... and do so much driving.
So, I've narrowed it down to two places -- both in Defence Colony which is really the best location. It's pretty close to everything -- good market, restaurants etc.
So here's how the problem breaks down:
The bigger place [44,000 rupees] (3bedrooms - pictured in earlier blog) is nice, airey, open -- corner lot and had a great terrace. It's less than 1 km from the gym... close to restaurants etc. Downsides are that it will be harder to furnish, cool and is a big "dingey".
The smaller place [25,000 rupees] (1bedroom - pictured here) is much nicer... better building, newer unit, nice open kitchen, nice bathroom, better neighborhood (same area -- but it is park-facing). Problems: 1) it's smaller -- is tough for guests to visit. 2) There is a girl living in it until Aug 5th (at least) (i have guests arriving Aug 4th)... and there is the possibility that she won't leave until Aug. 15th! I've got to get out of this hotel... so I'd have to move to another "temporary housing" situation.
So "perfect" house isn't as "perfect" when you include that stuff. Oh, and... I've managed to show the "perfect" place to my colleague -- who really, really wants it -- and now that is akward too.
It would be nice to spend almost HALF for a place that really suits me better. It's a cute little cozy place and opens up on to a large terrace. I wish the timing worked a bit more in my favor. I find I can be incredibly indecisive in these things -- I'm better with the snap judgements. When I really get thinking and weighing options it's just too much.
See, you just don't find kitchens like this in India. Usually they are closed off from teh rest of the house and not as nice.
I've spoken with the landlord and am ready to put money down...
But what if the french girl who is living there can't leave until the 15th? Whatever will I do? How will I house my friends who are making an around the world schlep to visit me? As the world turns...
(*DISCLAIMER* I'm sorry that this entry lacks any real subject matter/material of interest -- it's the lame day-to-day worries of my apartment search --- I will get on to better subjects after this chapter concludes.)
So my cameraman, Sanjiv, has been incredible. He knew I was looking at apartments today and he called me to tell me that he had some free time and could he help. I released the taxi I had hired and he came to pick me up from one of the apartments. I took him to all (5) apartments that are on my "short list" and we saw a few others as well. It's very sweet of him to take so much time... and do so much driving.
So, I've narrowed it down to two places -- both in Defence Colony which is really the best location. It's pretty close to everything -- good market, restaurants etc.
So here's how the problem breaks down:
The bigger place [44,000 rupees] (3bedrooms - pictured in earlier blog) is nice, airey, open -- corner lot and had a great terrace. It's less than 1 km from the gym... close to restaurants etc. Downsides are that it will be harder to furnish, cool and is a big "dingey".
The smaller place [25,000 rupees] (1bedroom - pictured here) is much nicer... better building, newer unit, nice open kitchen, nice bathroom, better neighborhood (same area -- but it is park-facing). Problems: 1) it's smaller -- is tough for guests to visit. 2) There is a girl living in it until Aug 5th (at least) (i have guests arriving Aug 4th)... and there is the possibility that she won't leave until Aug. 15th! I've got to get out of this hotel... so I'd have to move to another "temporary housing" situation.So "perfect" house isn't as "perfect" when you include that stuff. Oh, and... I've managed to show the "perfect" place to my colleague -- who really, really wants it -- and now that is akward too.
It would be nice to spend almost HALF for a place that really suits me better. It's a cute little cozy place and opens up on to a large terrace. I wish the timing worked a bit more in my favor. I find I can be incredibly indecisive in these things -- I'm better with the snap judgements. When I really get thinking and weighing options it's just too much.See, you just don't find kitchens like this in India. Usually they are closed off from teh rest of the house and not as nice.
I've spoken with the landlord and am ready to put money down...
But what if the french girl who is living there can't leave until the 15th? Whatever will I do? How will I house my friends who are making an around the world schlep to visit me? As the world turns...

1 Comments:
I guess it's well into the evening on your birthday there. Hope you had a good day and you got what you wanted (or at least an apartment). Sorry couldn't spend it with but will think about you today. Enjoy your birthday!
Post a Comment
<< Home